Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

What a Skate Around the Rink Taught Me

We took C skating for the first time tonight. I wasn't sure if it would be sensory overload -- the multitude of people, the loud music, the bright lights. I worried that she would become easily frustrated by the physical challenge of skating. I braced myself.

 "I want to skate, mom," she said over and over. And I listened to her. When we got out there -- amongst all the people, amid all the music, under the disco ball of lights, she looked at me, smiled, and said, "I can do it." Despite the doubt I felt, I trusted her. She softly removed my hand from hers and skated off like a pro -- smiling and waving as she left me.

As I continue on this journey, I'm learning to not let my own fears and doubt rule. Like learning to skate, it's a slow process -- one foot at a time, one fall after another. Listening and trusting isn't always easy, but sometimes it was our kids need the most from us.

#hypotonia

No comments:

Post a Comment